Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Another day, another reality check

I am soooo not quitting my day job to move to Honduras to do hard labor for a living (though the frozen chocolate covered bananas are quite the incentive. In case it isn`t obvious we did more work outside today. I, along with Jen, started the day finishing off the paint job Tara and I started the day before. While the second coat was easier than the first there was an additional challenge. It downpoured overnight, so the wall was seriously covered with sand. So we spent a little time cleaning off the sand and mud (ok very little as the wall is textured already).


Doesn`t the wall look nice!!! We actually painted a lot more than that one section - no really we did!
Jen and I finished up a little before lunch so we helped the part of the group that was moving a pile of sand from spot A to spot B which was about 5 feet away. The rest of the group was moving sand from a greater distance and having to run wheel barrels up a hill. I tried using the wheel barrel once - got it about 3 feet and almost dumped it. I could have kept trying, but we would have been shoveling twice. And you know how us MathWorkers feel about muda!
During our lunch break a few of us were sitting outside and Wilmer came over to talk with us. Thinking I had a great idea I started to show him how to thumb wrestle. Silly me, he already knew how to thumb wrestle and did it quite well! He was then called away as it seems he was supposed to be doing his chores and not building with dominoes with us.

After lunch we spent a lot of time moving around more sand. Eventually this sand will be turned into cement which will help the water from the drain of the dorm flow away from the building.

In some ways it felt like a futile activity, but one that needed to be done all the same. We got to dig out some cool big rocks and passed the time talking about when shows like the Flintstones ´Jumped the Shark` and our favorite Looney Tunes characters and episodes. Hey, you do what you have to in order to pass the time.

Thankfully we had our frozen chocolate covered bananas to keep us going as well as help from some of the children.
We all made it through the day without injury (or getting rained on as we expected) and are fortunate enough to know we get to finish the job tomorrow!

I am sure others will be blogging this as well, but today was a great food day. No beans what-so-ever. We had canteloupe and REALLY good banana bread for breakfast, something similar to beef stew for lunch and spaghetti for dinner. No fear, I am sure the beans will be back tomorrow.
After dinner we met with Doña Claudia where she gave us a presentation on the children of El Hogar. She showed us pictures and told us many of the children`s stories. It was so hard to not get emotional to hear what these children have been through, seeing what the homes they came from look like and how far they come. In watching these children she says she sees miracles every day and I can see why. Just looking at some of the children we have been spending time with, you would not know they have been through so much in only a few years. Doña Claudia and the staff at El Hogar are amazing people doing amazing things.
After the presentation Doña Claudia introduced us to the children who have come to El Hogar in the last year. As we entered the auditorium they gave us a hug one-by-one. There were some that just seemed to hold on a little longer than the others and I didn´t want to let them go. My buddy Ramone was in the room, he came by and hugged me twice. I just can`t describe how tonight felt. It does leave me wanting to do more.
When we were done we got to spend some time playing with all the children. I ended up kicking a ball around with Wilmer. He was getting a kick out of watching me run after the ball and would be yelling rapido at me. When the 7pm bell rang he wanted to stay and play instead of getting a snack before bed. He is the tiniest little thing and always smiling, but that was not always the case. I would take him and many others home with me if I could. Ok, I would have to buy a bigger house...


Here is Tara and Melvin playing cards. When Doña Claudia showed us her El Hogar presentation she told us stories about Melvin that were heartbreaking. Knowing some of the things this boy has been through and how he continues to have such a sweet dispostition brings tears to my eyes.


And the picture to the right is with me and my buddy Ramone (he is the one in the center). Ramone is one of the newer children at el Hogar. When all the new children left the auditorium Ramone gave us all one more round of hugs.



Going to get going so I can get some rest in before another early, long and amazing day tomorrow.

Melissa

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Melissa, the wall looks nice! It looks so nice I was wondering when you would be available to paint our front porch? It is hard to believe that you hid this talent from your mother for so many years.

    On a more serious note, I have been following the blog very closely. Reading it is the first thing I do in the morning even before my much needed cup of tea. I want to thank the group for allowing me to be part of this experience. Reading the posts and seeing the pictures makes me feel that I am a member of the team sans the blisters and the chocolate covered bananas.

    I am also beginning to feel a sense of sadness that the week is half over. I feel that I will miss Ramone, Carlos, Melvin, Wilmer and Johan and the others. I will miss reading the blog and getting an update on this wonderful place and on these wonderful kids.

    Because of the opportunity to vicariously experience your trip to El Hogar by reading this blog it has inspired me to want to go for real. I am hoping that our Rotary club will sponsor a team in the future.

    I want to commend the team for the time and effort they put into this blog instead of getting a few extra much needed zzzzzzzzz after a hard day's work. Not only have you helped El Hogar with your donations, your time and your sweat you have also helped them with this blog. This blog has brought to life El Hogar and its mission and will definitely translate into financial contributions and the recruitment of future teams that will pick-up the torch that your team has so ably carried.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I say I help paint that wall? I believe I misspoke. What I meant to say is I took pictures of the painted wall... Buying it?

    Thanks for the kind words mom. Don´t worry, I`ll have a lot more stories to share when I get home.

    Raul said you are welcome any time!

    ReplyDelete

Followers