Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wheelbarrow Capsize

We worked pretty hard today. Our group's task was to shovel sand into wheelbarrows at one end of the campus and bringing it up hill to another part. I got blisters on my hands, even with my gloves. A couple of the tiniest kids insisted on helping us for about 2 hours, shoveling pretty hard. They were having fun like it was a game. One of them Carlos, managed to take a wheelbarrow full of sand all the way to its destination. The smaller kid, Wilmer, wanted to try with the next barrow-full but promptly fell over after moving it about one foot, capsizing the wheelbarrow and emptying its contents. He thought this was pretty funny.

We found out during a presentation given to us tonight by Claudia, the director of El Hogar, that Wilmer, the smaller boy who had just been there a year, had been living on the streets with this alcoholic Dad for a while. He was such a happy, bright child. Althought all of these kids come from some sort of disfunctional or dangerous environment.

I am pretty exhausted. I still somehow found myself chasing kids in the evening, an activity I said I wouldn't do as I was too tired.

Tomorrow will be Wednesday. We are not working in the morning but going on a tour to the technical school where I worked the last time I was hear. I'll see how it has changed.

Stuart

1 comment:

Followers