Thursday, May 7, 2009

Soccer Blow-Out

Tonight we started off with what was advertised as "hide and seek" but then turned into a sort of game of tag. During my pleas for further information, Mark pointed out the futility of asking for clarification of the rules which, together with the game itself changed continually.

I can catch any of the kids if I have some open space. I think they are not used to adults being able to catch them. The other night I remember wishing I had some sort of head camera as we ran round corners, over ledges, through clothes on the washing line, over construction materials and all in partial darkness. Its pretty nerve racking. I'm sure the kid is going to trip and whack into some giant piece of rusty pipe somewhere in the shadows. Put it never happened. But I can only sprint for a short time. If they can dodge around the swings, trees and benches for more than 10 sec then I'm done.

When the game turned into soccer it was on a surface that was made of smooth cement covered with a fine layer of dust. Everyone was skidding and falling with a thump every now and them. There was one very small kid who's whole technique seened to be to dive and roll at the feet of whoever had the ball, laughing as he did so and annoying the other kids some what. He didn't kick the ball in any consistent direction but I'm sure he was on our side.

The game in its initial location ended abruptly when someone kicked the ball into an outside fluorescent light above our goals that smashed dramatically. I went off to get a bag and some gloves. I was impressed when another kid on our team went off and got a brush. We quite fastidiously brushed up the glass and swept it into my bag. Knowing some of their backgrounds, I'm always impressed, each time I see the boys being thoughtful and responsible.

Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers