Monday, May 4, 2009

Play-time Snag

I eventually tracked down Jose Adan, the kid I sponsor. I hadn't met him before. He is thirteen. He was playing with a friend of his. I exchanged a few phrases in my limited Spanish with him. I thought some physical activity would fill the awkwardness so I proceeded to climb on top of a wooden pole holding up one end of the clothes line they were playing under. I sat on the top for a while. I think they were impressed, or perhaps puzzled and laughed. I then rolled backwards and hung upside down for a bit from my knees. I was all set for a flamboyant dismount when I realised that I had hooked my jeans to a couple of big nails on the top of the pole. This entertained him and his friend even more. I didn't think I would be able to get back up right and was considering a cry for help to some other adults within earshot. Well, after some effort, I did manage to pull myself upright and un-hook myself. I now have a rip in my jeans.

Oh well. We didn't exactly bond but I think he was entertained.

Stuart

1 comment:

  1. Stuart:
    I must applaud your ability to poke at yourself and your frailties. I read this post at 5:30 in the morning and was screaming with laughter so hard that my husband woke up in a confused state thinking we were on the verge of a home invasion. Thanks for the entertainment.

    I also liked this post for another reason. I liked it because you were able to share the sense of awkwardness you felt when not knowing how to connect with Jose Adan. My sense is that this feeling is shared by many but seldomly voiced.
    As far as bonding goes, I would not sell myself short. Maybe you didn't give the impression that you wanted, but I wouldn't be so sure that bonding didn't occur. After all laughter is the best medicine and you possibly made a lasting impression on Jose Adan and gave him a story that he might remember for years.

    ReplyDelete

Followers